Wednesday, September 23, 2015

The journey thus far - Kanak speaks

Kanak Kataria








Your average lost-in-life, confused, college-going teenager. 

Highly opinionated, overly talkative. 

Humanist/Liberalist/Feminist/Equalist, whichever you prefer. 

love to read, debate, travel, and sleep. 

Live and let live, people!



Kanak is among the 20 fellows selected for the Pratiti journey in Delhi.
Read what she has to say about her experiences so far:


"When I applied for Pratiti, I didn’t exactly know what I had signed up for. All I knew was that it sounded like a very interesting initiative about something I was (read am) very passionate about. Gender, violence, and all such related concepts have always been issues that I have felt very deeply about, and hence, when I started my Pratiti journey, what I was expecting was an intense discussion about these very issues. 

That being said, what Pratiti has been so far is entirely different from what I had in mind. It’s taught me about how to work better with people, how to listen better, how to act and react better, how to understand better, and how to assess better. It’s taught me that we all come from different places in life, and are headed to different destinations- but we’re all affected by the same issues. 

I’ve met some truly wonderful people, and shared some truly wonderful times with them. And while I still have to force myself to get out of bed on the Sunday mornings when I go back to Pratiti, the moment I reach is the moment I realize why I’m doing this.

This fellowship has, for me, been more about understanding myself than understanding gender based violence, and that’s something I hadn’t expected. Unexpected as it might have been, though, it was a pleasant surprise, and I’m thrilled to see that I’m not alone when it comes to my concerns about gender-based violence. Here’s acknowledging that it’s been a great journey so far, and hoping that it’s an equally great journey till the very end..."


---
Follow the Pratiti blog for more beautiful updates from the fellows as they narrate their journeys of growth and transformation into gender leaders over the next 2 months...

No comments:

Post a Comment