Monday, September 28, 2015

The journey thus far - Puru speaks

Puru Tyagi




"A student of Economics and a lover of English literature.  A Co-editor for Gaylaxy Magazine. A feminist (duh!), an activist, a left-wing supporter, and a grammar enthusiast (not a Nazi.) In constant search of new ideas to chew on. A social butterfly and a party animal.  My people, music and food get me going."



Puru is among the 20 fellows selected for the Pratiti journey in Delhi.
Read what he has to say about his experiences so far:


"Randomly surfing across Facebook this one day i came across a post from People for Parity inviting people to apply for their upcoming fellowship called Pratiti. I was interested in it at once given my passion for activism and my drive to bring out a change, to deconstruct the binary, to break the norms. And after filling of that elaborate form and then giving an hour long telephonic interview, to my surprise i was lucky enough to be one of the 20 fellows. 

It started with these workshops which were emotionally very grueling and overwhelming but had a profound impact on my understanding of self and pushed me even closer to my emotional side in a healthy way. It gave me a new outlook towards people, life and situations in general. Words defy me when I start to explain the kind of journey it has been for me and for that i will be forever grateful. 

Being three months into the fellowship we are engrossed with our projects, trying to create something beautiful. My team and I have been working every other day trying to create the best possible environment for a workshop to build a community of which understands the nuances of sex and sexuality and also realizes the common goal in making a freer and a more liberated society. We have conducted some semi structured interviews trying to collect narratives for the best possible outcome of the workshop and trying to create a sense of trust and solidarity between different sexual minorities and/or a sexual minority and the majority. 

I am really excited to see how all of it pans out and how far we are able to go to help break the taboo around sex and dismantle the binary. Here's hoping for the most positive of the outcomes..."


---
Follow the Pratiti blog for more beautiful updates from the fellows as they narrate their journeys of growth and transformation into gender leaders over the next 2 months...

No comments:

Post a Comment